Leave of absence
Thinking of taking a leave of absence from your studies?
You can do other things during your period of leave, and when the leave ends, you can return to your place of study. However, there are some things that you must be aware of when applying for a leave of absence, including:
- you cannot participate in classes or exams on your education programme
- you are not eligible for SU (Danish State Education Grant) during the period
- you can only be enrolled in one full-time education programme at a time. If you start a new education programme during your period of leave, you will be dismissed from the education programme from which you applied for a leave of absence
- you must have at least passed the first year of study before you can apply for leave. If you are taking a top-up education programme, the first semester must be passed before you can apply for leave. However, this does not apply if you are applying for parental leave, adoption leave or leave for conscription
- inactive study periods, including a leave of absence, are included in the calculation of your maximum study time. However, this does not apply if you are applying for parental leave, adoption leave or leave for conscription
These are general rules. Additional rules may be laid down in connection with leave for your education programme. Therefore, we encourage you to contact your student counsellor if you are considering applying for a leave of absence.
Find contact information on student counsellors at VIA.
If you wish to apply for a leave of absence, you must fill out an application.