SU Counselling

The Danish State’s Education Grant (SU) is financial support for students in higher education. The support is paid as a grant and can be supplemented with student loans.

You are seeing specific information relevant for:

Your SU is your responsibility

You are responsible for the correctness of the information that the SU Agency and VIA have, and which forms the basis of your grant/student loan. If you discover errors in information or payments, or your circumstances change, you have a duty to inform VIA or the SU Agency.

This also applies if you are impeded in your study programme, e.g. due to illness. Read more about impediments and SU here.

Important information regarding extra financial support

In some cases, you have the option of extra financial support. For example, in connection with:

  • Paternal leave
  • Illness
  • Impaired functional ability (disability benefit)

Questions about equal status with Danish citizens?

If you are not a Danish citizen, you can only be eligible for SU, if you meet one of the specified conditions to achieve equal status with Danish citizens. Read about SU as a foreign citizen.

If you have questions regarding SU as a foreign citizen, please contact the Danish Agency for Higher Education directly. Enquire about equal status with Danish citizens.

The Danish Agency for Higher Education handles all applications on equal status for SU.

Youth Card and travel expenses

If you have questions about the Youth Card (student travel card) or mileage allowance, you must contact one of our SU staff members as described above.

Read more about Youth Card and mileage allowance at